Sunday, January 13, 2013

Like buttah, baby.

I sure haven't blogged lately!  Perhaps I have forgotten to see the entertainment in the little day to day dealings... Or perhaps I'm just lazy.  Its the lazy thing, I'm sure.  BUT, Hippy keeps telling me to blog, so here is a post about something wonderful:  Butter!

I ran into some heavy cream at my local Smith's market for a whopping $.10/pint.  It was going out of date that day, but cream tends to last (as I've learned from my mother, who always has the world's oldest cream hidden in the back of the fridge).  I bought 8 pints and have been making all sorts of goodness with it.  For example, I've made lots of butter (most of which is in my freezer for later), buttermilk pancakes, whipped cream for use on EVERYTHING, truffles, and I will make ice cream this week.  What goes better with 2 feet of snow than ice cream?!  Everything.  But it'll still taste nice, I assure you!

The Pro's and Con's of butter:

Pro:
It's awesome.
It tastes good on everything.
It makes everything taste better.


Con:
None to date
(High Cholesterol? Heart Disease? --Hippy)

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Note in this first picture the potato soup on the stove with heavy cream in it, which makes it taste roughly 1,000,000 times better than my normal canned milk recipe.  Also, note my sexy snow boots.







 Theres nothing quite like a handful of butter... Mmmm.

Anyway, besides that, life has been good.  The holidays were lovely and I had fancy prizes coming out the tailpipe.  Namely, I got a water softener, which makes my water feel like silk.  It's so glamorous.  Fodie also enjoyed the holiday, but mostly because he likes eating wrapping paper.  New Years was also great... we don't see our friends as often as we used to, so having people over was delightful.

Speaking of Fodie, he is such a little tank these days.  He has 8 teeth now, and is able to walk along the furniture.  He went from baby to toddler within weeks.  With his new nearly-adult status, we moved him into his own bedroom last month.  It was hard, but he sleeps much better now and we don't tend to wake him up with our grown-up schedule.  We had to break some bad habits, which was hard, but Fodie is sleeping like a champ these days. He isn't a big fan of napping and he certainly doesn't sleep through the night or anything... but he is doing better, which makes me happy.  I know that many people have their babies trained to sleep through the night by the time they are 3 days old... but Fodie is so active, I don't feel bad getting up in the night to help him replenish his little calorie supply.  It'll be nice when I get a full nights sleep though... someday.  In the meantime, I try to remember that these days (and nights) are fleeting, and being able to spend quiet cuddle moments in the night are going to be times that I look back on with nothing but a loving ache because I'll miss them so much someday. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that life is good.  Butter is also good.  Between the two, I've got it made.

Fodie... blowing raspberries, naturally.





3 comments:

  1. little Fodie is the cutest thing ever!!! and I wish we lived closer so I could sample your butter-- yum! I have many delicious ice cream recipes if you would like- we just had lemon ice cream tonight. DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! You are so fun! And I feel the same way about Julie waking up in the night, and it's hard to be grouchy about it cuz its such a quiet, peaceful time with such a precious baby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harmie, I so enjoy your wit...almost as much as I enjoy you and your little family. You are the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete